The Hungarian National Gallery is a museum devoted to Hungarian art with a collection spanning a period from the Middle Ages to the present day. The museum was established in 1957 and moved to its current premise in 1975.The museum collection is arranged chronologically starting in the Middle Ages with a beautiful exhibition of Gothic panel paintings from the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. One of the museum star attractions is the collection of fifteen late Gothic altarpieces on display in the former throne room of the palace.The following exhibitions show the National Gallery collection of late Renaissance and Baroque artwork including sculptures and paintings many of which once belonged to the aristocratic Esterhazy family. One of the museum highlights is its collection of sculptures and paintings from the nineteenth century when Hungarian artists started to gain international recognition. There are several masterpieces here including Women of Eger a work from the Romanticist painter Bertalan Szekely The Recapture of Buda Castle by Gyula Benczur and The Last Day of a Condemned Man by Mihaly Munkacsy. Also dont miss the works of Tivadar Kosztka Csontvary whose expressionist style was ahead of its time.